1. How We Collect and Use Information
Personally Identifiable Information: We collect information that can be used to identify you as an individual ("Personally Identifiable Information") only when you provide such information directly to us in connection with the Service.
- Types of Personally Identifiable Information you provide us directly: You aren't required to provide us with any Personally Identifiable Information in order to use our Service; however, you may choose to provide certain Personally Identifiable Information to us such as your first and last name, birthdate, phone number, ZIP code and email address in response to optional prompts featured on our Service, including surveys or newsletter subscriptions. If you choose to complete a survey or sign up for a newsletter, we may collect certain
Personally Identifiable Information, including your username, first and last name, phone number,
and email address.
- Use of Personally Identifiable Information: We may use the Personally Identifiable Information we collect or receive to communicate directly with you. We may also send you emails containing newsletters, promotions, and special offers. If you do not want to receive such email messages, we will give you the option to opt out or change your preferences. As discussed below, we may also combine your Personally Identifiable Information with third-party analytics information to build a broader profile of our individual Users.
Non-Personally Identifiable Information: We also collect and use information about your interactions with the Service in a manner and format that does not identify you as an individual ("Non-Personally Identifiable Information"). We may collect, use, and disclose the following types of Non-Personally Identifiable Information:
- Analytics information. We use third-party analytics tools to help us measure traffic and usage trends for the Service. These tools collect information sent by your browser as part of a web page request, including the web pages you visit, your browser add-ons, your browser's width and height, and other information that assists us in improving the Service. We may collect and use this analytics information together with your Personally Identifiable Information to build a broader profile of our individual Users so that we can serve you better, to improve the Service and for internal business purposes. We may disclose this combined information to our third-party business partners in aggregated, anonymized form as described below in the section entitled "Sharing of Your Information - Non-Personally Identifiable Information."
- Cookies information: When you visit the Service, we may send one or more cookies - a small text file containing a string of alphanumeric characters - to your computer that uniquely identifies your browser and lets Upworthy help you log in faster and enhance your navigation through the site. A cookie may also convey information to us about how you use the Service (e.g., the pages you view, the links you click, and other actions you take on the Service), and allow us or our business partners to track your usage of the Service over time. A persistent cookie remains on your hard drive after you close your browser. Persistent cookies may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to the site. Persistent cookies can be removed by following your web browser's directions. A session cookie is temporary and disappears after you close your browser. You can reset your web browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some features of the Service may not function properly if the ability to accept cookies is disabled.
- Log file information: Log file information is automatically reported by your browser each time you access a web page. When you use our Service, our servers (whether operated by us or a third-party provider) automatically record certain log file information. These server logs may include anonymous information such as your web request, Internet Protocol ("IP") address, browser type, referring / exit pages and URLs, number of clicks and how you interact with links on the Service, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed, and other such information.
- Clear gifs/web beacons information: When you use the Service, we may employ clear gifs (also known as web beacons), which are used to anonymously track the online usage patterns of our Users. In addition, we may also use clear gifs in HTML-based emails sent to our Users to track which emails are opened and which links are clicked by recipients. This information allows for more accurate reporting and improvement of the Service.
- Device identifiers: When you access the Service by or through a mobile device (including but not limited to smartphones or tablets), we may access, collect, monitor, and/or remotely store one or more "device identifiers," such as a unique device identifier ("UDID"). Device identifiers are small data files or similar data structures stored on or associated with your mobile device, which uniquely identify your mobile device. A device identifier may be data stored in connection with the device hardware, data stored in connection with the device's operating system or other software, or data sent to the device by Upworthy. A device identifier may convey information to us about how you browse and use the Service. A device identifier may remain persistently on your device to help you log in faster and enhance your navigation through the Service. Some features of the Service may not function properly if use or availability of device identifiers is impaired or disabled.
- Location data: When you access the Service by or through a mobile device, we may access, collect, monitor, and/or remotely store "location data," which may include GPS coordinates (e.g. latitude and/or longitude) or similar information regarding the location of your mobile device. Location data may convey to us information about how you browse and use the Service. Some features of the Service, particularly location-based services, may not function properly if use or availability of location data is impaired or disabled.
2. Sharing of Your Information
Personally Identifiable Information: We will not rent or sell your Personally Identifiable Information to third parties outside Upworthy and its controlled subsidiaries and affiliates without your consent, except as noted below:
- Who we may share your Personally Identifiable Information with: We respect your privacy and encourage sharing of Personally Identifiable Information on an opt-in, case-by-case basis. We may offer sponsored email messages on behalf of clearly identified third parties ("Sponsors"). If you elect (opt-in) to provide your information in response to a sponsored email, then we may share or sell your Personally Identifiable Information, either alone or together with Service usage and analytics information, with the Sponsor identified and/or any intermediary acting on behalf of that Sponsor. Opting-in for one Sponsor does not mean we'll share your information with other Sponsors; we'll ask you again for permission via an opt-in email or prompt to share with additional Sponsors. We may also share your Personally Identifiable Information with third-party providers for the purpose of providing the Service to you (i.e., email providers, server providers, etc.).
- Instances where we are required to share your Personally Identifiable Information: Upworthy will disclose Personally Identifiable Information where required to do so by law or subpoena or if we reasonably believe that such action is necessary to (a) comply with the law and the reasonable requests of law enforcement; (b) to protect the security or integrity of our Service; and/or (c) to exercise or protect the rights, property, or personal safety of the Service, our Users, or others.
Non-Personally Identifiable Information: We may share Non-Personally Identifiable Information, including information obtained through tools such as cookies, log files, device identifiers, location data and clear gifs (such as anonymous usage data, referring/exit pages and URLs, platform types, number of clicks, etc.): (i) in any manner permitted for Personally Identifiable Information; and (ii) with our third-party business partners for the purposes described in the section above on "How We Collect and Use Information." We may also aggregate or otherwise strip data of all personally identifying characteristics and may share that aggregated, anonymized data with third parties. Any aggregated information shared in these contexts will not contain your Personally Identifiable Information.
3. How We Store and Protect Your Information
Keeping your information safe: We care about the security of your information and uses commercially reasonable safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of all information collected through the Service. However, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us or guarantee that information on the Service may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed.We are not responsible for the functionality or security measures of any third party.
Compromise of information: In the event that any information under our control is compromised as a result of a breach of security, we will take reasonable steps to investigate the situation and, where appropriate, notify those individuals whose information may have been compromised and take other steps, in accordance with any applicable laws and regulations.
4. Your Choices About Your Information
Opting out of collection of Personally Identifiable Information: You may, of course, decline to submit any Personally Identifiable Information through the Service, in which case we may not be able to provide certain services to you.
Opting out of collection of Non-Personally Identifiable Information: Please refer to your mobile device or browser's technical information for instructions on how to delete and disable cookies and other tracking/recording tools. Note that disabling cookies on your mobile device or browser prevents Upworthy or its business partners from tracking your browser's activities in relation to the Service and for use in targeted online advertising. However, doing so may disable many of the features available through the Service. Additional information on opting out of Google Analytics is described in Section 1 in the heading "Google Analytics."
5. Children's Privacy
The website does not knowingly collect or solicit Personally Identifiable Information from anyone under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register as Users. The Service and its content are not directed at children under the age of 13. If you are under 13, please do not send any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, or email address. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please use the contact us link below.
6. Other Websites and Services